Cheese & Tattie Pie (a great party dish)
300g packet of frozen puff pastry, just thawed
300g cooked new potatoes
pinch of salt & pepper
200g cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons of chopped parsley or fresh marjoram
3 rashers of bacon
125ml of double cream
- Heat the oven to 425f, 200c, Gas mark 7 or 190 fan. You will need a 20cm (or 8 inch) sandwich tin or flan ring.
- Roll out two-thirds of pastry to a circle 4cm (1 and a half inches) larger than the tin. Support pastry on rolling pin and lift onto tin; gently ease pastry onto base and up side of tin. Leave excess pastry over side of tin.
- Slice potatoes thinly. Arrange half in base of tin. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Slice cheese; arrange over potato. Sprinkle chopped parsley or marjoram over cheese; snip chives into tin.
- With scisssors, remove rind from the bacon; arrange rashers over herbs. Top with remaining sliced potatoes; sprinkle with salt and a little pepper. Pour cream over filling, reserving a little for brushing pie at a later stage.
- Brush edge of pastry with some water. Roll remaining pastry to a circle 1cm (half an inch) larger than tin. Support pastry on rolling pin and lift onto filling. Press edges together firmly. Then trim excess pastry with scissors. Holding a knife parallel to rim, mark round edge of pastry to form flakes. Make a small hole in the centre of the pie.
- Roll out pastry trimmings and cut five 2cm (1 inch) circles with a cutter or large piping tube. Brush pie with remaining cream; arrange circles around central hole. Brush again.
- Place pie on a baking sheet and bake just above centre of oven for 25-30 minutes until the crust is deep golden brown.
To serve hot – remove tin or ring. To serve cold – leave pie in tin until cold, turn out onto a serving plate.