Moussaka – Original Greek Recipe
700 g minced beef
2 large aubergines
1 kg potatoes
Salt & pepper
3 cups of milk
7 tablespoons of flour
Salt, pepper & nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
- For the Bechamel sauce – gently warm the milk in a pan.
- Next place the butter in another pan, when melted add the flour. Mix well and continue to beat while adding the milk. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and stir over heat until the sauce thickens and becomes smooth.
- When it has cooled slightly, add the beaten eggs and beat well again, then set aside.
- Next, slice vegetables and fry separately in batches in olive oil. Saute onion and minced beef in more olive oil, add chopped tomatoes, parsley, salt & pepper and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Spread a layer of potatoes in a dish, add a layer of courgettes on top, then add the meat mixture and aubergines.
- Finally pour over bechamel sauce and bake in a preheated oven for about 45 minutes.
Note: For a lower fat version, try parboiling the potato slices and grilling the aubergine slices