175g self raising flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
175g soft margarine
175g caster sugar
For the Filling:
2 x eggs
75g caster sugar
50g unsalted butter
For the Icing:
100g icing sugar
Use two round 18cm tins
- Heat the oven to 180C, 350F or Gas Mark 4.
- For the sponge, cream the margarine and caster sugar. Grate & twist the lemon, add the lemon rind and the juice of 1 lemon to the mixture. Then mix the flour and baking powder in gradually.
- Next beat the eggs in a small bowl and add to the mixture, stir well.
- Divide the contents into tins and bake.
- Bake the sponge for 20 minutes, then leave on a rack to cool.
- For the filling, break the eggs into a bowl and add the caster sugar. Add the grated rind and juice of another lemon. Add the unsalted butter.
- Use a small saucepan to heat some water so that the water is just slightly bubbling. Put the bowl onto the saucepan of hot water and stir the mixture occasionally as it thickens. Take it off the heat when it coats the back of a spoon. And leave it to cool.
- Once cooled spread the filling onto one of the sponges. And place the other sponge on top.
- For the icing, grate some of the rind from your lemon for decoration.
- Squeeze half the lemon only, sift the icing sugar into a bowl and stir the lemon juice into the icing sugar until it is like glue.
- Ice the cake and sprinkle the rind on top.