Moist Lemon Cake
110 g or 4 oz butter
170 g or 6 oz caster sugar
170 g or 6 oz self-raising flour
1 level teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs beaten
Grated rind of 2 lemons
60 ml or 2.5 fl oz milk
- Preheat the oven to 180c / 350F / Fan 160c / Gas mark 4. Cream the butter and caster sugar; then gradually beat in the eggs.
- Stir in the zested rind of the lemons. Fold in the flour and baking powder.
- Stir in the milk to produce a very soft (almost runny) consistency. Pour into a greased tin and bake for 35-45 minutes until the skewer comes out clean.
- Meanwhile dissolve 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar into the juice of the lemons.
- With the cake still in it’s tin, make lots of holes in the cake using a skewer and slowly pour the lemon juice mixture all over the cake, so that the juice seeps down through the holes.
- Leave the cake in the tin until completely cold.