Shepherd’s Pie (serves 8)
Drizzle of olive oil
3 medium onions, sliced
3 celery sticks, finely chopped
2 courgettes, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
500g of minced beef
500g of minced lamb
400g of ripened tomatoes, roughly chopped
a few sprigs of fresh thyme
3 bay leaves
Season with salt & pepper
2 glasses of red wine
1 kg of potatoes, such as Maris Piper, peeled
a knob of butter
a dollop of creme fraiche or natural yogurt
a little mature cheddar, grated
- Warm the oil in a very large pan, add the onions, celery, carrots and courgette and cook until softened. Add the beef & lamb mince and cook until nicely browned.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, thyme and bay leaves and continue cooking until the tomatoes begin to collapse. Season.
- Pour in the wine, partially cover with a lid and leave to simmer very gently for 30 minutes until the meat sauce has turned rich & thick.
- While the meat is cooking, boil the potatoes until tender, then drain and mash adding the butter. Stir in the creme fraiche and season with black pepper.
- Heat the oven to gas mark 6, 200 C, 180 fan. Remove the cooked mince from the heat and pour into a baking dish. Next, spread the mashed potato on top and sprinkle the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until crispy and golden.
Serve with seasonal green vegetables.