Vegetarian Curry (serves 2)
1 onion, chopped
Splash of olive oil
A selection of chopped vegetables of your choice:
carrot, potato, sweet potato, cauliflower, broccoli, sugarsnaps, courgette, peas, soya beans
Optional – Realeat chicken pieces from Holland & Barratt (or quorn pieces)
1 clove garlic per person, chopped or crushed
A sprinkle of cumin seeds, crushed in a pestle and mortar
A few cardamom pods – use either whole or crush the seeds, depending on preference
Ginger – fresh or ground
Stock e.g. Marigold bouillon powder or vegetable cube
Small handful raisins/sultanas/dried apricot
Natural yoghurt and/or mango chutney
- Drizzle the olive oil into a large saucepan and fry the onion until it begins to brown. Add the garlic, tomato puree and spices to the pan. Form a paste and gently cook for a minute.
- Keep the green vegetables aside and add the rest of the veg to the pan. Add some freshly boiled water from the kettle to cover the veg along with the stock and cook for 15 mins or so until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the green vegetables, chickpeas and dried fruit and cook for a further 10/15 mins until all the veg is cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Taste, season and adjust if necessary – you can add more spices if required.
- While the curry is cooking, lightly brown the Realeat or Quorn pieces and add to the curry just before serving to retain crispiness.
- Add a few spoons of natural yogurt and/or mango chutney and mix just before serving.
Serve with white or brown basmati rice.